April 04, 2025 11:14 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
K Annamalai says he is not in a race to become Tamil Nadu BJP's next president | PM Modi meets Muhammad Yunus in Bangkok amid bilateral tension in first since Hasina's fall | Calcutta HC blasts TMC leader-headed film federation over infringement of directors' fundamental rights | BJP demands Mamata Banerjee's resignation over Supreme Court verdict quashing Bengal govt jobs | Rajya Sabha passes Waqf (Amendment) Bill 2025 after marathon debate, 128 voted in favour | West Bengal: Mamata Banerjee accuses BJP, CPI (M) for SC verdict on SSC recruitment, vows to support affected teachers | Supreme Court stays deforestation in Hyderabad's Kancha Gachibowli amid protests | Modi a great friend of mine but not treating US right: Donald Trump announcing reciprocal tariffs on India | Crushing defeat for Mamata Banerjee: BJP reacts to Supreme Court's SSC recruitment order | DMK to challenge Waqf (Amendment) Bill in Supreme Court, announces Stalin

President Kovind expresses sadness over killing of 39 Indians in Mosul

| @indiablooms | Mar 21, 2018, at 01:47 am

New Delhi, Mar 20 (IBNS): President of India Ram Nath Kovind on Tuesday expressed his sadness over the killing of 39 Indians in Mosul.

"Extremely sad to learn of tragic end of 39 of our fellow citizens in Iraq. Every Indian shares pain and grief of bereaved families. We appreciate efforts of Govt and of officials who worked hard to take the sad episode to a conclusion over the past four years #PresidentKovind," read a tweet on the official page of the President.

External Affairs Minister Sushma  Swaraj on Tuesday informed the Rajya Sabha that 39 Indians, who had gone missing in Iraqi town Mosul in 2014, have been killed in captivity of ISIS terrorists.

Swaraj noted that while everyone listened to her statement patiently in the Rajya Sabha, she expected the same in the Lok Sabha but the Congress led by Jyotiraditya Scindia disrupted her speech.

She said Minister of State V K Singh will go to Iraq to bring  the victims' bodies back home.

The Minister said told the media  DNA samples of 38 people have been matched, verification of one victim is under process.

She informed that  27 of the people were from Punjab, four  from Himachal Pradesh, six from Bihar and two  from West Bengal.

One person whose DNA has matched 70 percent with the samples is from Bihar.

She said that the next logical conclusion would to grant closure to the families by bringing the bodies back. "I have asked the High Commission to fast track the process to bring the bodies back so that the family members can at least hold funeral rituals and grieve their dead."

In July last year, Swaraj had told Parliament that there was no evidence that the missing people had been  killed by the Islamic terrorists and that they can't be declared as dead. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Close menu