May 18, 2026 08:00 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions

Canada: Saskatchewan announces elimination of hearing aid plan from the budget

| | Apr 10, 2017, at 11:44 pm
Toronto, Apr 10 (IBNS): The Saskatchewan provincial government's announcement, made on budget day last month, about the elimination of hearing aid plan from the budget to save $3 million had been strongly protested by parents of deaf or hard of hearing children, media reports said.

An online petition against the cuts started by Saskatoon High School student Mary-Jayne Morris has attracted more than 1,500 signatures, a CBCNews report said.

The protesters noted that Saskatchewan had fewer public audiologists per capita than any other province and lacked comprehensive hearing tests for newborns.

In a recent national study for its treatment of the deaf and hard of hearing, Saskatchewan received one of the worst grades.

Claudia Baptiste, president of the volunteer advocacy group Saskatchewan A.G. Bell said her 12-year-old son, Zachary, and hundreds of families across the province would be affected by elimination of the plan.

The government, supported by private audiologists, in a news release issued on Thursday, signed by 11 private sector audiologists from cities around the province, said A.G. Bell was spreading misinformation and said public sector and private audiologists, along with groups like A.G. Bell should work with the government to ensure that services remain focused on the patient, and not on providers, media reports said.

Baptiste and others opposed the statement by government and the private, for-profit companies and issued their own statement.

"Saskatchewan children's communication skills will be at risk, which in turn will affect their literacy levels, academic success and social & emotional well-being," said the A G Bell statement quoted the media.

 

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj,Image: Wikimedia Commons)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.