May 18, 2026 08:27 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial | Left era ends in Kerala! V.D. Satheesan takes oath as CM after UDF’s massive comeback | Drone strike near UAE nuclear plant sparks panic—India calls it a ‘dangerous escalation' | Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple
Bengal government ended religion-based schemes and launched Rs 3,000 monthly assistance for eligible women.
Bengal
West Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul holds presser at Nabanna, May 18, 2026. Photo: IBNS

Suvendu Adhikari govt scraps religion-based schemes in Bengal, clears ₹3,000 monthly aid for women

| @indiablooms | May 18, 2026, at 07:15 pm

Kolkata/IBNS: The West Bengal government, led by Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari, on Monday decided to discontinue all state assistance programmes based on religious categorisation, bringing to an end a series of schemes introduced during the previous administration headed by Mamata Banerjee.

The cabinet also approved a Rs 3,000 monthly financial assistance scheme for women and announced free travel for women on state-run buses from June 1.

Minister Agnimitra Paul said departments such as Information and Cultural Affairs, Minority Affairs and Madrasa Education would continue the existing schemes only until the end of May.

From June, the government will discontinue assistance programmes that were classified on the basis of religion.

Existing state OBC list scrapped

The cabinet also withdrew the current state Other Backward Classes (OBC) list in line with a judgment of the Calcutta High Court.

The government plans to establish a panel to determine future eligibility for reservation benefits.

The move follows the state’s recent decision to withdraw petitions filed by the previous government challenging the High Court’s order on the OBC list.

In July last year, the Supreme Court of India lifted the stay on the implementation of a revised OBC list containing 140 sub-groups under OBC-A and OBC-B categories.

Annapurna scheme approved

The cabinet approved the new Annapurna scheme, under which eligible women will receive Rs 3,000 every month beginning June 1.

According to Agnimitra Paul, women who applied for citizenship under the Citizenship (Amendment) Act and those who approached tribunals for inclusion in electoral rolls during the Special Intensive Revision process will also be eligible for the benefits.

The BJP had promised during the Assembly election campaign to increase financial assistance for women to Rs 3,000 per month, compared with Rs 1,500 provided under the former Lakshmir Bhandar scheme.

Free bus travel for women

The government also approved free travel for women on all government-run buses from next month.

The initiative was one of the key commitments made by the BJP during the state election campaign.

Seventh Pay Commission approved

The cabinet gave its approval for the constitution of the Seventh State Pay Commission.

The commission will review salary structures for state government employees, as well as staff working in statutory bodies, civic institutions, education boards and government-run educational establishments.

No discussion on DA

When asked whether dearness allowance was discussed during the cabinet meeting at Nabanna, Agnimitra Paul said the issue did not come up during Monday’s deliberations.

She said discussions on dearness allowance would be held at a later stage.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.