April 04, 2025 05:38 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
West Bengal: Mamata Banerjee accuses BJP, CPI (M) for SC verdict on SSC recruitment, vows to support affected teachers | Supreme Court stays deforestation in Hyderabad's Kancha Gachibowli amid protests | Modi a great friend of mine but not treating US right: Donald Trump announcing reciprocal tariffs on India | Crushing defeat for Mamata Banerjee: BJP reacts to Supreme Court's SSC recruitment order | DMK to challenge Waqf (Amendment) Bill in Supreme Court, announces Stalin | Supreme Court upholds Calcutta HC order quashing 25,000 appointments by SSC in Bengal | In a major boost for tourism, Shimla to get Asia's longest ropeway spanning 13.79 kilometers | Karnataka govt hikes sales tax on diesel, price goes up by Rs. 2 | 'Heard India will be dropping its tariffs substantially': Donald Trump ahead of announcing reciprocal tariff | Opposition MPs decide to vote against Waqf Amendment Bill in Parliament tomorrow
Kenyan Peacekeeper
Kenyan peacekeeper killed in CAR ambush. Photo Courtesy: MINUSCA X page

CAR ambush leaves Kenyan peacekeeper dead, Antonio Guterres condemns

| @indiablooms | Mar 31, 2025, at 06:12 pm

The United Nations has condemned the killing of a Kenyan peacekeeper in an ambush carried out against the patrol in the Central African Republic.

The attack against the MINUSCA Force patrol occured near the village of Tabane, 24 km northwest of Zemio, in the Haut-Mbomou prefecture.

"A Kenyan peacekeeper was killed in this extremely violent attack perpetrated by unidentified armed elements," confirmed the UN Peacekeeping website.

Antonio Guterres Condemns

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres strongly condemned an attack on peacekeepers serving with UN mission MINUSCA in the Central African Republic.

A statement from the UN Spokesperson’s Office on behalf of António Guterres said the peacekeeper had been killed on Friday by so-far unknown assailants when his unit was on a long-range patrol near the village of Tabane in the Haut-Mbomou prefecture, in the southeast of the country.

“The Secretary-General expresses his deepest condolences to the family of the fallen peacekeeper and to the Government and the people of Kenya,” the statement continued.

Possible war crime

“The Secretary-General recalls that attacks targeting United Nations peacekeepers may constitute war crimes under international law. He calls on the Central African authorities to spare no effort in identifying the perpetrators of this tragedy so that they can be brought to justice swiftly.”

The Central African Republic, or CAR, has been in a state of internal conflict along sectarian lines since 2012 when predominantly Muslim militia began battling mostly Christian anti-Balaka militia, resulting in thousands of deaths and leaving many more dependent on aid.

In 2013, armed groups seized the capital forcing President François Bozizé to flee. After a brief period of reduced violence in 2015, and elections held in 2016, fighting intensified.

Peace talks got underway in early 2019 under the auspices of the African Initiative for Peace and Reconciliation in CAR, led by the African Union (AU) with UN support. A deal was agreed in Khartoum and formally signed in CAR’s capital, Bangui.

‘Heinous attack’

The head of the MINUSCA, Valentine Rugwabiza,  said in a statement she was “extremely shocked by this heinous attack on peacekeepers whose mission is to protect civilians.”

A rapid intervention team has been deployed to the site of the incident to secure the area, she added.

The MINUSCA chief – who also serves as UN Special Representative in the country – called on authorities in CAR “to spare no effort in identifying the perpetrators of this attack so that they can be brought to justice swiftly.”

She said cowardly attacks would not diminish peacekeepers’ determination to carry out their mandate “in service of peace and stability”.

Security Council condemnation

The UN Security Council issued a statement on Sunday condemning the attack in CAR, reiterating that attacks against peacekeepers may constitute war crimes, and reminding all parties of their obligations under international humanitarian law.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Close menu