August 18, 2026 09:09 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar

NHRC sends notice to TN government

| | Aug 02, 2014, at 03:57 am
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IBNS): The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Friday said it has sent notice to the Tamil Nadu government on death of 11 people in wall collapse in Thiruvallur last month.
"The National Human Rights Commission has taken cognizance of a complaint that a building's wall collapsed on the 5th July, 2014 at Upparapalayam Village, near Red hills lake in Thiruvallur District, Tamil Nadu in which about 11 construction workers from Andhra Pradesh died and few others were grievously injured. A lot of godowns were constructed without the approval of Local Planning Authority in Red hills area which is a wetland protected under the Wetland Conservation and Management Rules, 2010," the NHRC said in a statement.
 
Justice D. Murugesan, Member, NHRC has observed that the allegations raise a serious issue of violation of human rights and issued a notice on Friday to the Chief Secretary, Government of Tamil Nadu calling for a report in the matter within four weeks.
 
This tragedy occurred within a week from the collapse of Moulivakkam Chennai building in which 61 people had lost life.
 
The complainant has alleged that the Government of Tamil Nadu has miserably failed to protect the life of innocent, oppressed and poor construction workers as its officials allowed illegal constructions by flouting the rules regarding building construction approval, soil test etc.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.