August 18, 2026 07:13 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar
US Court halts Donald Trump's $400 million White House ballroom project. Photo: X/The White House

US appeals court halts Trump's White House ballroom project, says Congress must approve it

| @indiablooms | Aug 08, 2026, at 12:00 am

A US federal appeals court on Friday ordered the Trump administration to halt construction of its proposed $400 million White House ballroom, ruling that President Donald Trump cannot move ahead with the project without approval from Congress.

In a 2-1 decision, a three-judge panel of the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit held that the President lacked the unilateral authority to construct the planned 90,000-square-foot ballroom on the site where the White House's East Wing previously stood before its demolition.

The court stayed its ruling for two weeks to allow the administration time to appeal to the US Supreme Court.

'Congress must decide,' Court says

The appeals court stressed that the dispute was not about the merits of the ballroom itself but about constitutional authority.

"Whether or not a massive ballroom should be constructed is for Congress to decide and is not a matter for Executive self-help," the judges wrote.

The court clarified that its ruling does not permanently bar the project but prevents the administration from continuing above-ground construction while litigation is underway unless Congress authorises it.

District Court order upheld

The appeals court upheld an April 16 order by US District Judge Richard Leon directing the administration to stop above-ground construction.

However, Leon allowed work to continue on below-ground facilities, including bunkers and other infrastructure deemed necessary for national security.

In his latest order, the judge rejected the administration's argument that the entire ballroom project qualified as a national security initiative.

"The defendants argue that the entire ballroom construction project... falls within the safety-and-security exception," Leon wrote. "That is neither a reasonable nor a correct reading of my Order."

Trump slams ruling

President Trump criticised the decision on social media, accusing Judge Leon of delaying what he described as an important national project.

Calling Leon a "Trump Hating" judge, the President alleged that the ruling undermined national security and sought to delay or block what he called a "great gift to America."

Preservationists challenge demolition

The legal challenge was filed in December 2025 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, shortly after the White House completed the demolition of the East Wing to make way for the new ballroom.

The preservation group argued that the absence of a White House ballroom did not constitute a national security emergency and therefore could not justify bypassing congressional approval.

Government lawyers countered that the project incorporated critical security upgrades designed to protect the President, staff and the White House complex from threats including drones, ballistic missiles and biological hazards.

Project received planning approval

Despite the legal dispute, the proposed ballroom received final approval from the 12-member National Capital Planning Commission on April 2.

The project represents the most significant structural alteration to the White House in more than seven decades.

For now, however, only below-ground work related to security infrastructure may continue while the legal battle moves toward a possible Supreme Court appeal.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.