COVID-19: Uttar Pradesh orders complete shutdown in 15 districts till Apr 13 | Supreme Court asks Centre to ensure free COVID-19 testing in private labs | Tablighi Jamaat's Maulana Saad traced to Delhi's Zakir Nagar | He was great: Donald Trump praises Modi after India agrees to Hydrooxychloroquine export | PM Modi chairs all-party meeting as states appeal to Centre to extend anti-Coronavirus lockdown |
Egypt: Ban alarmed by recent mass death sentence

Photo: IRIN

Egypt: Ban alarmed by recent mass death sentence

India Blooms News Service | 29 Apr 2014, 05:14 pm
New York, Apr 29 (IBNS): United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday voiced alarmed at the news that another preliminary mass death sentence has been handed down in Egypt, where more than 680 people were reportedly on trial, a topic he will raise later this week in a meeting with the Egyptian Minister for Foreign Affairs, Nabil Fahmy.
Monday’s legal decision follows the 24 March conviction of 529 defendants on various charges, including membership of an unlawful organisation (the Muslim Brotherhood), incitement to violence, vandalism, unlawful gathering and the killing of one police officer. All the charges relate to events in August 2013 after the Government of President Mohamed Morsi was ousted.
 
“Verdicts that clearly appear not to meet basic fair trial standards, particularly those which impose the death penalty, are likely to undermine prospects for long-term stability,” Ban’s spokesperson said in a statement.
 
The Secretary-General is also conscious of the regional and security implications of such sentences, and stressed that stability in Egypt is essential for the overall stability of the entire North Africa and Middle East region.
 
Separately, the UN chief is concerned about a court case on Monday banning the activities of the ‘April 6 Youth Movement’ which mobilized support for the ousting of Hosni Mubarak in 2011 and the unseating of Morsi last year.
 
Ban “was disappointed that the appeals court on 7 April upheld the jailing of three emblematic figures of the 2011 uprising, including two founders of the youth movement,” said his spokesperson.
 
Stressing respect for the independence of the judiciary, Ban and High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay had expressed concerns before and after the law regulating protests was promulgated. They warned that it could lead to serious breaches of the right to freedom of peaceful assembly.
 
 
 (Photo: IRIN)

Egypt: Ban alarmed by recent mass death sentence

India Blooms News Service
Comments ()

Post your comment:

Web Analytics