February 22, 2026 04:08 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
Representative image/ courtesy: Usplash

Amid criticism, Centre to prepare fresh draft of Broadcasting Services Regulation Bill

| @indiablooms | Aug 13, 2024, at 06:56 am

New Delhi/IBNS: The Centre Monday said it will hold further consultations and release a fresh draft of the Broadcasting Services Regulation Bill after certain provisions of the previous one raised concerns among online content creators.

The previous draft sought to club them with OTT or digital news broadcasters, bringing them under the ambit of the ministry's Content and Advertisement Code.

The previous draft bill and explanatory notes were placed in the public domain in November last year.

Media bodies such as DigiPub and the Editors Guild of India claimed that digital media organisations and civil society associations were not consulted on the move.

The draft bill also drew criticism from the opposition Congress with Priyanka Gandhi Vadra accusing the government of trying to "gag" digital media, social media, OTT platforms, and those who write and speak in a private capacity by bringing in the bill.

The government, meanwhile, has maintained that the bill is still in the drafting stage, and consultation with stakeholders is currently underway.

The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Monday said that additional time has been given to stakeholders till October 15.

"The Ministry is holding a series of consultations with the stakeholders on the draft bill. A fresh draft will be published after detailed consultations," the ministry said in a post on X.

The bill seeks to directly regulate streaming platforms such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Disney+Hotstar as over-the-top, or OTT, broadcasting services.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.