February 17, 2026 08:03 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Emergency
'Emergency' movie's posters from Facebook/Kangana Ranaut

Kangana Ranaut's 'Emergency' can be released after making suggested cuts: CBFC tells Bombay High Court

| @indiablooms | Sep 26, 2024, at 08:26 pm

Mumbai/IBNS: The Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC), the statutory film-certification body in the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, on Thursday (Sept. 26) informed the Bombay High Court that Kangana Ranaut's film "Emergency" can be released after implementing cuts recommended by its revising committee.

The film, directed and co-produced by Ranaut—who is also a BJP MP—features her in the role of former prime minister Indira Gandhi.

Initially slated for release on Sept. 6, "Emergency" has been delayed due to disagreements with the censor board.

Several Sikh organizations have raised concerns, accusing the film of misrepresenting their community, and have approached the court to block its release.

CBFC’s counsel, Abhinav Chandrachud, told the Bombay HC, "The committee has suggested some cuts, which need to be made before the certificate can be issued and the movie released."

Sharan Jagtiani, senior counsel representing Zee Entertainment, the film’s co-producer, requested more time to review the proposed cuts.

The court has scheduled the next hearing for Sept. 30, according to reports.

The court was considering Zee’s petition, which calls for the release of the mandatory censor certificate.

The petition claims that while the CBFC had approved the certification, it had not yet issued it.

Last week, Zee Entertainment alleged that the delay was politically influenced due to upcoming elections in Haryana.

However, the court questioned why the ruling party would act against one of its own members.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.