February 19, 2026 03:36 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Amid rising tensions, UN chief reiterates concerns to Burundian President

| | Aug 07, 2015, at 02:05 pm
New York, Aug 7 (IBNS): United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has urged Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza to resume the political dialogue that was suspended last month, and reiterated his strong condemnation of the recent killing of General Adolphe Nshimirimana and the attempted assassination of human rights defender Pierre Claver Mbonimpa.

During their phone conversation yesterday, Ban expressed his “deep concern” over the impact of these events on security in Burundi, UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told reporters in New York.

“The Secretary-General urged the President of Burundi to resume the political dialogue, which has been suspended since July 19th. He encouraged the Burundian authorities to work closely with the Ugandan-led facilitation on behalf of the East African Community.”

The Secretary-General offered the UN’s full support to help find a peaceful solution to the grave problems facing the country, the spokesperson added.

Also yesterday, the Burundi Configuration of the UN Peacebuilding Commission (PBC) strongly condemned the assassination of General Nshimirimana, and the attack against Mbonimpa, while voicing concern about the deterioration of the security environment.

“The PBC Burundi Configuration calls on all Burundians to exercise restraint in order to prevent a further escalation of violence” and “to establish the necessary conditions for rebuilding trust and fostering national unity,” said the statement.

The group also called on the Government and political actors in Burundi to urgently resume dialogue.

Photo: UNICEF Burundi/Eliane Luthi

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.