August 18, 2026 07:13 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar
North Korea
North Korea fires ballistic missile towards East Sea. Representational Photo: Pixabay

North Korea fires ballistic missile towards East Sea ahead of major South Korea-US exercise

| @indiablooms | Aug 12, 2026, at 04:20 pm

North Korea fired a ballistic missile towards the East Sea on Wednesday, South Korea’s military said, marking the country’s second such launch in less than a week amid heightened tensions over an upcoming joint military exercise between South Korea and the United States.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) told Yonhap News Agency that it detected the missile being launched from the Wonsan area on North Korea’s east coast at around 6 a.m.

The missile travelled more than 700 kilometres, while South Korean and U.S. authorities are conducting a detailed analysis of its specifications, according to the JCS, Yonhap reported.

The latest launch came just days after North Korea fired what the South Korean military identified as a short-range ballistic missile towards the East Sea on Thursday.

The timing of Wednesday’s launch is significant, as South Korea and the United States are scheduled to begin their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield joint military exercise next week.

Reacting to the launch, Yang Moo-jin, a senior professor at the University of North Korean Studies, told Yonhap that it could be a repeat of last week’s launch following a suspected failure.

“It could be a repeat of last week's launch following its suspected failure and is believed to be a test-firing aimed at improving its missile capabilities,” Yang said.

“Given the intensifying war in Ukraine, it could also be a test to upgrade the Hwasong-11 missiles, which are designed to carry tactical nuclear warheads,” he added.

The U.S. Pacific Command said it was aware of the missile launch and was consulting closely with its allies and partners.

“Based on current assessments, these events do not pose an immediate threat to U.S. personnel or territory, or to our allies,” the command said in a statement.

North Korea’s continued pursuit of nuclear weapons and ballistic missile development remains “a matter of serious concern,” the UN’s political affairs chief told the Security Council in April.

Under-Secretary-General Rosemary DiCarlo made the remarks after North Korea announced a new five-year military development plan, which she said was in violation of multiple Security Council resolutions.

DiCarlo also warned that Pyongyang’s strategy of developing “new secret arsenals” and other military assets poses a challenge to global nuclear disarmament efforts, including the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons.

UN Security Council Resolution 1718, adopted in 2006, established a framework for targeted sanctions against North Korea, including an arms embargo.

However, international support for maintaining sanctions has faced uncertainty. In 2024, Russia, a permanent member of the Security Council, vetoed a resolution seeking to extend the mandate of a UN panel tasked with monitoring sanctions against North Korea, prompting a subsequent General Assembly debate over the issue.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.