May 24, 2026 01:50 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Honoured to visit the Missionaries of Charity today, says Rubio after Kolkata visit, arrives in Delhi | Marco Rubio's India visit begins in Kolkata: Trade, defence and Quad talks take centre stage | Third fuel price hike in India in 10 days: Here’s what you’ll pay now | Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60%
COVID19 Tedros
UN website

China blocks WHO team from entering to study origins of coronavirus, Tedros feels 'disappointed'

| @indiablooms | Jan 06, 2021, at 03:08 pm

Geneva: The World Health Organization has said China blocked the arrival of its team to probe the origin of the COVID-19 disease which has now spread across the world.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus was quoted as saying by CNN that two scientists of the United Nations team had already left their home countries for Wuhan when they were told that Chinese officials had not approved the necessary permissions to enter the country.  

The WHO chief siad he was 'disappointed' with the development.

"I am very disappointed with this news," Tedros was quoted as saying by CNN during a news conference in Geneva on Tuesday.

He said: "I have been in contact with senior Chinese officials and I have once again made clear that the mission is a priority for WHO and the international team."  
 
Tedros said WHO was "eager to get the mission underway as soon as possible" and that he had been given assurances that Beijing was speeding up the internal procedure for "the earliest possible deployment."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.