May 24, 2026 03:33 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Honoured to visit the Missionaries of Charity today, says Rubio after Kolkata visit, arrives in Delhi | Marco Rubio's India visit begins in Kolkata: Trade, defence and Quad talks take centre stage | Third fuel price hike in India in 10 days: Here’s what you’ll pay now | Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60%
COVID19
Pixabay

China dismisses Washington's concerns about credibility of WHO report on COVID-19

| @indiablooms | Feb 14, 2021, at 11:05 pm

Washington/Sputnik: China rejects Washington's statement questioning the report by the World Health Organization (WHO) on the origins of the coronavirus and its credibility due to alleged intervention by Beijing, the Chinese Embassy in the US said on Sunday.

On Saturday, US national security adviser Jake Sullivan expressed concerns about whether China duly communicated raw data on the coronavirus to the WHO amid media reports that the organization's investigators were denied access to personalized data on more than a hundred early cases of COVID-19. Sullivan also noted the importance of expert findings to be free from intervention or alternation by the Chinese government.

"What the U.S. has done in recent years has severely undermined multilateral institutions, including the WHO, and gravely damaged international cooperation on COVID-19. But the U.S., acting as if none of this had ever happened, is pointing fingers at other countries who have been faithfully supporting the WHO and at the WHO itself. With such a track record, how can it win the confidence of the whole world?" the embassy's spokesperson said in a statement.

The embassy also expressed hope that Washington would adhere to highest standards itself, as well as support the WHO's work with real actions and make due contribution to the global cooperation on COVID-19.

Former US President Donald Trump pulled the country out of the health organization last year, after accusing it of being "China-centric" and helping Beijing conceal the virus' real origins, which China denied. The new administration under President Joe Biden announced the country's return to the WHO.

The WHO team concluded a month-long research trip to Wuhan, the world's first COVID-19 hotspot, this week. Peter Ben Embarek, the head of WHO’s fact-finding mission to China, presented the early findings, saying that it does not seem plausible that the virus escaped a lab in the Chinese city.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.