April 04, 2025 01:22 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
West Bengal: Mamata Banerjee accuses BJP, CPI (M) for SC verdict on SSC recruitment, vows to support affected teachers | Supreme Court stays deforestation in Hyderabad's Kancha Gachibowli amid protests | Modi a great friend of mine but not treating US right: Donald Trump announcing reciprocal tariffs on India | Crushing defeat for Mamata Banerjee: BJP reacts to Supreme Court's SSC recruitment order | DMK to challenge Waqf (Amendment) Bill in Supreme Court, announces Stalin | Supreme Court upholds Calcutta HC order quashing 25,000 appointments by SSC in Bengal | In a major boost for tourism, Shimla to get Asia's longest ropeway spanning 13.79 kilometers | Karnataka govt hikes sales tax on diesel, price goes up by Rs. 2 | 'Heard India will be dropping its tariffs substantially': Donald Trump ahead of announcing reciprocal tariff | Opposition MPs decide to vote against Waqf Amendment Bill in Parliament tomorrow
Image Credit: File image/UNI

12 Naxals, including 5 women, killed in Maharashtra's Gadchiroli police encounter

| @indiablooms | Jul 19, 2024, at 05:37 am

Gadchiroli (Maharashtra): Twelve Naxal cadres, including 5 women, were killed in an encounter between security forces and insurgents in Wandoli village on the Maharashtra-Chhattisgarh border, media reports said.

One Divisional Committee member, Laxman Atram, in charge of the Tipagad Dalam, has been identified as one of the dead Naxal, news agency ANI reported.

Further identification of the Naxals and area searches are ongoing.

The Superintendent of Police, Gadchiroli, Neelotpal, said that various crimes, including encounters, arson and murder, had been registered against the dead Maoists, the report stated.

He also said that all armed formations and cadres in Uttar Gadchiroli have been neutralised by the police. Further, he said that after the operation, Uttar Gadchiroli is Naxal-free now.

Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced a cash reward of Rs. 51 lakhs for the C60 commandos and Gadchiroli Police for successfully conducting the operation.

The operation involved seven C-60 parties led by Deputy Superintendent of Police officers, deployed near the Chhattisgarh border in Wandoli village.

On July 17, an encounter erupted between the Maharashtra Police C-60 team and Maoist insurgents in the forest area between Chhindbhatti and PV-82 in the Kanker border area.

The heavy exchange of fire began on Wednesday afternoon and continued intermittently for six hours, resulting in the deaths of 12 Naxal cadres.

One police sub-inspector and one jawan sustained injuries but are now out of danger, having been evacuated to Nagpur for treatment, the report said.

The area search led to the recovery of seven automatic weapons, including three AK-47s, two INSAS rifles, one carbine, and one SLR, it added.

Security forces have intensified search operations in the region and continue to monitor the situation closely.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Close menu