April 04, 2025 08:17 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
West Bengal: Mamata Banerjee accuses BJP, CPI (M) for SC verdict on SSC recruitment, vows to support affected teachers | Supreme Court stays deforestation in Hyderabad's Kancha Gachibowli amid protests | Modi a great friend of mine but not treating US right: Donald Trump announcing reciprocal tariffs on India | Crushing defeat for Mamata Banerjee: BJP reacts to Supreme Court's SSC recruitment order | DMK to challenge Waqf (Amendment) Bill in Supreme Court, announces Stalin | Supreme Court upholds Calcutta HC order quashing 25,000 appointments by SSC in Bengal | In a major boost for tourism, Shimla to get Asia's longest ropeway spanning 13.79 kilometers | Karnataka govt hikes sales tax on diesel, price goes up by Rs. 2 | 'Heard India will be dropping its tariffs substantially': Donald Trump ahead of announcing reciprocal tariff | Opposition MPs decide to vote against Waqf Amendment Bill in Parliament tomorrow
NET
Representative image/ courtesy: Pixabay

CBI probe into UGC-NET 2024 has been ordered, says Education Ministry a day after cancelling exam

| @indiablooms | Jun 20, 2024, at 08:14 pm

New Delhi/IBNS: The Union Education Ministry on Thursday said a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the UGC-NET 2024 has been ordered, a day after the Centre cancelled the examination over possibilities of irregularities.

Speaking to the media, Ministry of Education Joint Secretary Govind Jaiswal said, "About 9 lakh students had participated in the UGC-NET which was held on June 18. On June 19, the UGC had received some inputs...

"The ministry felt there were chances of the examination being compromised. The ministry has decided to cancel the examination for students' interest. The next date of examination will be announced soon."

"The matter has been referred to CBI as well so that action can be taken against anyone who is involved," he added.

Over 9 lakh candidates appeared for the exam, which is held for Assistant Professor recruitments in universities and colleges as well as to determine eligibility for junior research fellowships.

In a statement, the Education Ministry said the June exam of the University Grants Commission-National Eligibility Test (UGC-NET) was conducted on Tuesday in OMR (pen and paper) mode in two shifts across the country.

"On 19th June, 2024, the University Grants Commission (UGC) received certain inputs from National Cyber Crime Threat Analytics Unit of Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) under the Ministry of Home Affairs on the Examination. These inputs prima facie indicate that the integrity of the aforesaid examination may have been compromised," it said.

The ministry said it was announcing the cancellation of the June 2024 examination "to ensure the highest level of transparency and sanctity of the examination process" and that it will be held afresh at a date announced later.

There have been reports of the paper of the examination being leaked, but this was not confirmed by the ministry. It said only that the matter had been handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation for investigation.

The UGC-NET is conducted twice every year, in June and December.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Close menu