February 17, 2026 06:05 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
LS polls
Photo courtesy: Facebook/KCR

EC bans KCR from campaigning for 48 hours over his 'derogatory' statements against Congress

| @indiablooms | May 02, 2024, at 03:22 am

Hyderabad/IBNS: The Election Commission Wednesday banned  K Chandrashekar Rao, popularly known as KCR, from campaigning for 48 hours over his "derogatory" statements against the Congress.

The 48-hour ban was imposed at 8 pm this evening.

"The Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) president has been barred from holding any public meetings, public processions, public rallies, shows and interviews, and public utterances in media in connection with the ongoing election for two days, the Election Commission said "strongly condemning his impugned statements".

The Congress had complained to the election panel on April 6 about certain "objectionable" remarks issued by KCR at a press meet in Telangana's Sircilla town a day earlier.

The commission had earlier issued a show-cause notice to KCR over the alleged remarks.

Responding to the notice on April 23, the former Chief Minister had denied the charge.

He pointed out that the meaning of his original statement has been lost in translation: "The officers in charge of election in Telangana and Sircilla are not Telugu people and they hardly understand the local dialect of Telugu."

He also accused Congress of picking some sentences from his press conference out of context. "The English translation of the sentences is not correct and twisted," he said.

KCR insisted that he had limited his criticism to the policies and programmes of the Congress.

He maintained that he had not gone into personal aspects of any Congress leader as the Election Commission said.

However, the Election Commission has found that the BRS chief "has violated the provisions of the Model Code of Conduct" after going through the content of the Congress complaint and KCR's response.

K Chandrashekar Rao is the second politician to have been banned from campaigning for 48 hours after Congress leader Randeep Singh Surjewala in the ongoing Lok Sabha elections.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.