May 25, 2026 05:16 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Honoured to visit the Missionaries of Charity today, says Rubio after Kolkata visit, arrives in Delhi | Marco Rubio's India visit begins in Kolkata: Trade, defence and Quad talks take centre stage | Third fuel price hike in India in 10 days: Here’s what you’ll pay now | Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60%
Bhatkal River Incident
Photo: Screengrab/X

Eight of family drown in Karnataka river while collecting mussels

| @indiablooms | May 24, 2026, at 08:24 pm

Eight members of a single family, including seven women, drowned in a river in Karnataka’s Uttara Kannada district on Sunday after sudden strong currents swept through the area during a mussel-collecting trip, local authorities and media reports said.

The victims were among a group of 14 people from Shirali village near Bhatkal who had entered the Tatte Hakkalu river, also locally known as the Alvekodi river, to collect freshwater mussel shells, a common seasonal activity in the coastal region.

Police said the river’s water level rose sharply within minutes, reportedly due to heavy rainfall in upstream areas, catching the group off guard.

Six people managed to escape or were rescued by local residents, while eight others were swept away by the fast-moving currents.

Teams from the police, Fire and Emergency Services and local fishermen launched rescue operations, with divers continuing searches into the evening under floodlights.

Authorities said several bodies had been recovered, while two people remained missing as of Sunday night.

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah in a post on X, described the incident as “extremely unfortunate and painful” and announced compensation of 500,000 rupees for the families of each victim.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi also expressed condolences in apost on X and announced an ex gratia payment of 200,000 rupees from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund to the families of those killed, along with 50,000 rupees for those injured.

“Deeply pained to hear about a mishap in Karwar district,” Modi said in a post on X.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.