February 16, 2026 06:19 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns
Chenab River is a major river that flows in India and Pakistan. (Photo courtesy: M Singh via Unsplash)

Jammu Kashmir: Youth commits suicide by jumping into Chenab River, body recovered in Pakistan

| @indiablooms | Jul 15, 2024, at 12:22 am

New Delhi: The body of a youth who allegedly ended his life by jumping into the Chenab River last month was recovered in Pakistan, media reported.

His family has now sought Prime Minister Narendra Modi's intervention to bring back the mortal remains for last rites, reported news agency PTI.

Harash Nagotra, a resident of a border village in Jammu Kashmir's Akhnoor sector, went missing on June 11, and his motorcycle was found on the riverbank, according to the report.

A police official said a missing report was filed by Nagotra's family the following day.

Preliminary investigation suggested that Nagotra might have ended his life by jumping into the river after suffering a loss of over Rs 80,000 in an online gaming application.

The family received confirmation about Nagotra's death through a WhatsApp message from a Pakistani official after they reactivated his SIM card.

Nagotra's father, Subash Sharma, stated that the message from the Pakistani official, who claimed to be in the post-mortem department, informed them that the body was recovered from a canal in Sialkot, Punjab province, on June 13, the report stated.

The official also mentioned that the body had been buried and sent Nagotra's identity card to the grieving family through WhatsApp, confirming that the body recovered in Sialkot was indeed their missing son.

Nagotra's relative, Amrit Bhushan, said they have already written to the External Affairs Ministry, Home Ministry, and the Prime Minister’s Office regarding the matter.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.