February 17, 2026 08:36 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Kolkata
Photo Courtesy: 2 NDRF KOLKATA X page

NDRF begins fresh search operation using sniffer dogs to find possible survivors of Kolkata building collapse

| @indiablooms | Mar 19, 2024, at 10:28 pm

The NDRF on Tuesday began a fresh search operation using sniffer dogs to find if any survivors were still trapped under the debris of the Sunday five-storied building collapse at the Garden Reach area in Kolkata where 9 people were killed and about a dozen others injured.

A senior police official told UNI that the search operation began by the NDRF using two sniffer dogs this morning.

He said so far nine people, have died in the mishap, which occurred around 11: 50 PM on Sunday in the thickly populated Garden Reach area.

Among the dead, two Shama Begum( 44) and Hasina Khatun( 55) were sisters and two were cousins and masons by profession, who were sleeping on the 2nd floor of the under-construction multi-storied building when it collapsed.

The building was being built for about a year after covering a water body there, local people alleged.

The promoter was arrested.

The construction of the building was illegal and was being built on a 4 ft wide lane.

The lane also has many three or four-storied buildings.

Two side-by-side buildings on Paharpur Road are tilted and the gap is only a few inches on the rooftops, local people alleged.

The Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) already posted a notice about a dangerous building in 2023 but some residents are still staying there.

Meanwhile, the Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation on Tuesday began the demolition of a multi-storied building of a club at Nayapatti in the Salt Lake area.

The demolition order is being carried out following a Calcutta High Court order after the owner of the land filed a writ against the illegal construction, police said.

(With UNI inputs)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.