February 19, 2026 08:08 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
Toronto Police Service

16 Canadians arrested under Project Mercury

| @indiablooms | Apr 14, 2018, at 10:36 am

Toronto, Apr 13 (IBNS): Sixteen Canadians were arrested as part of Project Mercury, a three-year international investigation into online sexual abuse of children, according to Toronto police, media reports said yesterday.

A total of 153 people have been arrested as part of Project Mercury, a joint effort involving the Toronto Police Service, Ottawa police, Saskatchewan RCMP, United States Homeland Security and U.K. National Crime Agency.

Of the 16 in Canada, 13 had been convicted. Seven arrests were made in Toronto, two in Ottawa and one each in Belleville, Thunder Bay, Quebec, Edmonton, Newfoundland, New Brunswick and Saskatoon.

Of those convicted, the sentences ranged from 30 months to 60 years, with many cases still before the courts.

The youngest victim was a 10-month-old.  

"It’s important to understand that this is happening to children all over the world," Toronto police Staff Supt. Myron Demkiw said at the news conference yesterday.

Police said that various social networking platforms were used by the suspects.

An undercover investigation was launched by Toronto police after the National Crime Agency in the UK alerted police agencies around the world in January 2015 of an online group using various social networking platforms to distribute child abuse material.

In July 2015, Toronto police witnessed a live-streaming event in which a six-year-old child was abused while others from around the world commented and directed the abuser.

The police said within hours the child was rescued and the abuser was caught in Pennsylvania. More than 20 other offenders were arrested, mainly in the US and UK.

"Unfortunately this was not the first time this happened, but I can tell you it was the last," Det. Const. Janelle Blackadar said.

Several other investigations had uncovered similar live-streaming events.

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.