February 22, 2026 12:51 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
Australia | Peter Dutton
File image by Australian Embassy Jakarta via Wikimedia Creative Commons

Australia, allies will 'lose the next decade' unless it stands up to China in the South China Sea: Australian Defence Minister

| @indiablooms | Feb 10, 2022, at 12:00 am

Canberra: Australian Defence Minister Peter Dutton has warned that Australia and its allies will “lose the next decade” unless it stands up to China in the South China Sea.

Dutton was quoted as saying by The Sydney Morning Herald the United States and its allies had previously “acquiesced” to Beijing in the disputed waterway, allowing it to build artificial islands and defence bases out of coral reefs.

He said he believed it was important to speak out about China for two main reasons: to educate the Australian public and to ensure the past decade was not repeated in which Beijing had militarised the South China Sea.

“I think we’ve lost a considerable period of time where China gave assurances about their activity in the South China Sea,” Dutton told this masthead.

“And the United States and others acquiesced and allowed the militarisation now to the point where China has 20 points of presence in the South China Sea, which does not help stability in the region," he said.

“If we continue on that trajectory, then I think we’ll lose the next decade. And my sense is that we’re better off being honest about that,' he said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.