February 21, 2026 12:31 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Burkina Faso
Image: Michele Cattani

Burkina Faso: UN chief condemns brutal attack that left scores dead

| @indiablooms | Jun 17, 2022, at 11:27 pm

New York: UN Secretary-General António Guterres has strongly condemned a weekend attack in Burkina Faso that left dozens of civilians dead and displaced scores more, his Spokesperson said on Wednesday.

The incident occurred on Saturday night when armed men launched an assault on the town of Seytenga, located in the Sahel region in the north of the country.

At least 79 people were killed, according to media reports.

‘Spare no effort’

“The Secretary-General calls on the Burkinabè authorities to spare no effort in identifying and bringing the perpetrators of this attack to justice,” UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told journalists in New York.

The UN chief has expressed his sincere condolences to the families of the victims, and to the people of Burkina Faso.

He has also reiterated the UN’s commitment to continue to support the country in its efforts to end insecurity and foster social cohesion. 

Second attack in days

Seytanga had already suffered a jihadist attack on Thursday which killed 11 military police, according to media reports.

Speaking earlier this month, the Secretary-General stated that the terrorism threat in Africa is increasing.

Extremist groups such as Al-Qaida and Da’esh, and their affiliates, are continuing to grow in the Sahel region and are making inroads into Central and Southern Africa.

“They are exploiting power vacuums, longstanding inter-ethnic strife, internal weaknesses and state fragilities,” he said in remarks to a counter-terrorism meeting, held in New York.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.