February 19, 2026 06:41 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Image: Doug Ford Twitter

Canada: Ont. court stays ruling that overturned provincial government's plan to reduce council seats

| @indiablooms | Sep 19, 2018, at 11:05 pm

Toronto, Sept 19 (IBNS): The Ontario court has stayed a ruling that overturned the provincial government's plan to reduce the Toronto council seats, media reports said.

The stay by the court came as a big win for the Premier Doug Ford-led Progressive Conservative (PC) government.

The three-judge panel has been quoted by CTV News, "It is not in the public interest to permit the impending election to proceed on the basis of a dubious ruling that invalidates legislation duly passed by the legislature."

Earlier in September, Justice Edward P. Belobaba ruled that the reduction of the council seats by the Better Local Government Act violated the rights of Torontonians.

He said the reduction has taken away the freedom of expression of the Torontonians. 

Toronto City Council had earlier voted to challenge Ontario Premier Doug Ford's decision to cut number of seats from earlier 47 to 25.

Toronto Council voted 27-15 to challenge the decision taken by the Progressive Conservative (PC)-led provincial government. 

The bill was introduced by Ontario premier Doug Ford in July.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.