February 19, 2026 01:38 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
Dominique Anglade/Facebook

Canada: Quebec to offer loans to steel and aluminium companies hit by U.S. tariffs

| @indiablooms | Jun 12, 2018, at 11:34 pm

Ottawa, June 12 (IBNS):  Quebec, a Canadian province, offered on Monday C$100 million ($77.1 million) in loans and guarantees on loans to steel and aluminium companies hit by recent United States (U.S.) tariffs, media reports said.

U.S steel and aluminium tariffs' impact on metals, said Quebec's Economy Minister Dominique Anglade, was felt more keenly than when US announced tariffs on softwood lumber in 2017.

Although U.S steel and aluminium tariffs's direct impact on the economy would reportedly be limited, it is the unpredictability of U.S. President Donald Trump's trade policy that was of great concern.

Anglade told reporters in Montreal that the program was introduced after aluminium and steel companies received feedback from clients who were not willing to pay the tariffs.

“What they’re telling us is some of their contracts were canceled,” she said, adding some had already slowed down production.

This fact may reportedly lead many Canadian companies across the country to reconsider their investment plans .

“The value of the impact is hard to assess,” Anglade added. “We’re seeing something that we haven’t seen in softwood lumber.” 

After the first step of offering $100 million, the government would reportedly hold another meeting next week with stakeholders to reassess the situation.

Quebec government wants to protect 30,000 workers, currently employed by Quebec's steel and aluminium industries, from any layoffs, Anglade said.

"What's going to be really important is to stay agile and be connected to what the companies are telling us," she said.

"We want to protect the interests of the workers, as well."

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.