February 18, 2026 04:04 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Canada: Saskatchewan announces elimination of hearing aid plan from the budget

| | Apr 10, 2017, at 11:44 pm
Toronto, Apr 10 (IBNS): The Saskatchewan provincial government's announcement, made on budget day last month, about the elimination of hearing aid plan from the budget to save $3 million had been strongly protested by parents of deaf or hard of hearing children, media reports said.

An online petition against the cuts started by Saskatoon High School student Mary-Jayne Morris has attracted more than 1,500 signatures, a CBCNews report said.

The protesters noted that Saskatchewan had fewer public audiologists per capita than any other province and lacked comprehensive hearing tests for newborns.

In a recent national study for its treatment of the deaf and hard of hearing, Saskatchewan received one of the worst grades.

Claudia Baptiste, president of the volunteer advocacy group Saskatchewan A.G. Bell said her 12-year-old son, Zachary, and hundreds of families across the province would be affected by elimination of the plan.

The government, supported by private audiologists, in a news release issued on Thursday, signed by 11 private sector audiologists from cities around the province, said A.G. Bell was spreading misinformation and said public sector and private audiologists, along with groups like A.G. Bell should work with the government to ensure that services remain focused on the patient, and not on providers, media reports said.

Baptiste and others opposed the statement by government and the private, for-profit companies and issued their own statement.

"Saskatchewan children's communication skills will be at risk, which in turn will affect their literacy levels, academic success and social & emotional well-being," said the A G Bell statement quoted the media.

 

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj,Image: Wikimedia Commons)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.