February 18, 2026 09:40 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Canada’s debated topic no-fly list discussed in Toronto, Ontario

| | Nov 29, 2016, at 01:15 am
Toronto, Nov. 28 (IBNS): Canada’s no-fly list was the main topic in the conversation as Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, Health Minister Jane Philpott and Immigration Minister John McCallum listened to citizens’ comments and recommendations in a high school cafeteria Sunday in Markham, near Toronto, reported Global News.

Michael, 16-year-old son had been on a no-fly list since he was just four or five years old, said his mother Natalie Pierre.

“We were coming back from the U.S. and customs agents pulled us aside. They didn’t tell us anything, except for the person who took us into a back room, who asked us what we did wrong,” Pierre said following the event in Markham, Ont.

Among the various topics discussed on different security issues, the no-fly list was the dominant topic.

The issue of no-fly list drew the attention of the public after a six-year-old boy, Adam Ahmed, was flagged as being on the no-fly list last year.

Goodale clarified that some kids who bear the same names as adults were flagged.

Pierre told The Canadian Press that exactly the same thing happened in her son’s case.

Only in about 2011 Pierre came to know her son Michael shared a name with someone on the list, she said.

Since then she said her family had been trying to resolve this issue with different government agencies.

Goodale’s statement in the meeting that it would take about 18 months for the new system to be set up was opposed my many parents who said the period was too long.

The Liberal government had announcement in June asking the Passenger Protect Inquiries Office to help people to speed up the process during check-in.

But families with young children continued to experience delays even after they had explained their cases to the office, Khadija Cajee, a spokeswoman for the group known as the No Fly List Kids, said.

Pierre said she’d be happy to see a solution within 18 months, especially one that would help adults who are wrongly flagged, as well as kids.

But in the meantime, she said her family had found other solutions.

She said her son got a compensation number from the United States which had convinced ticketing agents that he was not a threat

She also added that these ticketing agents also call the airline ahead of time which proves helpful.

“But it’s just such an inefficient system,” she said.

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.