August 24, 2026 05:03 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
‘Reservation for poor, not caste’: Stir at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar | Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well | India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark | Centre denies US visit clearance to Telangana CM Revanth Reddy, says programmes 'not appropriate' | Delhi Police register FIR in pellet gun case after Rahul Gandhi's sit-in | Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence
Iran-Israel
Israel PM's Office rejects New York Times report on alleged plot to kill Iranian negotiators. Photo: Benjamin Netanyahu/FB

'Complete fabrication': Netanyahu fires back at media report on alleged Iran assassination plot

| @indiablooms | Jul 04, 2026, at 01:07 pm

The Israeli government has rejected a media report claiming that Israel may have considered targeting Iran's senior negotiators while the United States was engaged in sensitive diplomatic talks with Tehran.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dismissed the report as "fake news."

In a post on X, Netanyahu said: "As usual, The New York Times' latest story about Israel and the Iranian negotiators is fake news."

"It is a complete fabrication of reality," he added.

According to The New York Times, current and former U.S. officials said American authorities believed Israel might have been considering plans to assassinate two of Iran's top officials during negotiations aimed at securing an interim agreement with Tehran earlier this year.

The report said U.S. concerns centred on Abbas Araghchi and Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, whose potential targeting could have derailed the delicate diplomatic process.

According to the newspaper, killing senior Iranian leaders had been part of Israel's broader wartime strategy. However, American officials reportedly feared that any attempt to assassinate Araghchi or Ghalibaf during the negotiations, which began in April, would have collapsed the talks and reignited the conflict.

The report added that the United States asked several countries in the region to warn Iran about the possibility that the two senior officials could be targeted, in an effort to preserve the negotiations.

U.S. officials acknowledged, according to The New York Times, that during the height of the conflict the two Iranian leaders could have been viewed by Israel as legitimate wartime targets. However, once negotiations gained momentum, Washington reportedly believed any such action would jeopardise diplomatic efforts and escalate hostilities.

Israel has categorically denied the report, calling it an inaccurate account of events.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.