February 19, 2026 08:12 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Donald Trump disallows most transgender people from serving in the US Army

| @indiablooms | Mar 24, 2018, at 07:18 pm

Washington, Mar 24 (IBNS): US President Donald Trump's Friday night order reiterated his stance on transgender troops partially, reports said.

According to the order, most transgender people will be disallowed to serve in the national army.

Last year he had banned the said community altogether from joining the troops.

Trump's new plan is set to cancel another policy implemented by the Obama administration.

The US President seemed to have followed recommendations made by Defense Secretary James Mattis.

"By its very nature, military service requires sacrifice. The men and women who serve voluntarily accept limitations on their personal liberties — freedom of speech, political activity, freedom of movement — in order to provide the military lethality and readiness necessary to ensure American citizens enjoy their personal freedoms to the fullest extent,” his memo to Trump read.

He said that present transgender soldiers who have not undergone reassignment surgery should be allowed to stay, provided they have been medically stable for 36 consecutive months in their biological sex before joining the military.

According to a report published in The Washington Post, Trump's decision will be challeged, much like his previous decision, where he banned transgender troops.

"In service to the ideological goals of the Trump-Pence base, the Pentagon has distorted the science on transgender health to prop up irrational and legally untenable discrimination that will erode military readiness," The Washington Post quoted Aaron Belkin as saying.

Belkin has studied transgender issues for the Palm Center, which worked in tandem with the Obama administration and was instrumental in repealing the previous ban.

"There is no evidence to support a policy that bars from military service patriotic Americans who are medically fit and able to deploy. Our troops and our nation deserve better,” Belkin said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.