February 22, 2026 02:25 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
North Korea
Image: Unsplash/Micha Brändli

DPR Korea: UN chief condemns missile launch as ‘clear violation’

| @indiablooms | Feb 02, 2022, at 09:00 pm

New York: The launch of a possible intermediate-range ballistic missile by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) drew condemnation from UN Secretary-General António Guterres on Tuesday.

“This is a breaking of the DPRK’s announced moratorium in 2018 on launches of this nature, and a clear violation of Security Council resolutions”, he said in a statement issued by his deputy Spokesperson, Farhan Haq.

The UN chief maintained that it is of “great concern” that the DPRK – more commonly known as North Korea - has again disregarded any consideration for the safety of international flights or shipping, since the missile reportedly flew across the country and into the sea of the east coast.

And he urged the country to “desist from taking any further counter-productive actions and calls for all parties to seek a peaceful diplomatic solution”.

Multiple launches this year

Mr. Guterres’ statement came in response to the latest launch on Sunday and was confirmed by North Korea to have been an intermediate range ballistic missile. News reports say that flight data suggests it was the most powerful launch by the regime since November 2017.

The test was the seventh missile test overall carried out this year by North Korea, and marked the sixth ballistic missile test, according to reports.

Earlier last week, two short range ballistic missiles were reportedly fired into the sea of the east coast, and what were believed to be cruise missiles, were fired into the same waters a few days earlier.

In early January, DPRK claimed to have successfully tested two hypersonic missiles, and then another from a rail car, on 14 January.

Security Council resolutions prohibit the development of all ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.