February 20, 2026 12:05 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Gaza: UN envoy welcomes temporary opening of Rafah crossing

| | Jun 12, 2015, at 02:23 pm
New York, Jun 12 (IBNS): The United Nations special envoy on the Middle East has welcomed the Government of Egypt’s decision to temporarily open a critical border crossing for residents of Gaza as a result of the dialogue between Palestinian and Egyptian authorities.

In a statement issued earlier on Thursday, UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Nickolay Mladenov applauded the Egyptian decision to open the Rafah crossing from 13 to 15 June in both directions, following consultations between President Abbas and the Egyptian authorities.

“I hope that the security conditions will allow for this decision to be extended and that Rafah can be open on a regular basis,” Mladenov declared.

He said, “The need for the full lifting of all closures however remains. A sustainable solution to address the situation also requires the return of control of the crossings in Gaza to the Palestinian Authority.”

Currently, Palestinians in Gaza can enter and exit the Strip through three potential access points – the Rafah Crossing connecting Gaza with Egypt and the Kerem Shalom and Erez crossings connecting into Israel.

Two other crossings – at Sufa and Karni – have been closed.

The closures have only added to Gaza’s woes as the enclave seeks to rebuild from the destruction caused by last summer’s 51-day conflict and remains heavily reliant on imported construction materials.

During a recent visit to Gaza at the end of April, Mladenov pledged ongoing UN support for efforts to reconstruct the war-ravaged enclave, lift Israel’s years-long blockade there and help strengthen Palestinian unity.

On Thursday, he reiterated the Organization’s call for a return to dialogue in the region and measures to build a viable two-state solution.

He said, “A permanent end to the suffering of the Palestinian people can only be achieved through an end to occupation and realization of the two-state solution in which Gaza is an integral part of the Palestinian state.”

Photo: OCHA (file)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.