February 16, 2026 05:28 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule
Maldives
Image: Pixabay

Maldives launches counter-terrorism operation in prisons

| @indiablooms | Jun 14, 2021, at 06:22 pm

Maldives has launched a counter-terrorism operation in its prisons in the capital Male and Mafushi in connection with the failed assassination bid on the archipelago’s former president Mohammad Nasheed. 

On May 6, an IED bomb exploded just outside Nasheed’s house in Male, leaving him badly injured. The lack of prior intelligence about the blast led the country’s President Ibrahim Muhammed Solih to order a complete audit of the security apparatus.

The operation launched on Saturday was confirmed by the Maldives Correctional Service (MCS) on Twitter. However, it confirmed that the operation was one of the many operations in the case. It is being led by the Maldives Police Service (MPS) together with the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF), it said.

Police also denied reports that prisoners were being beaten, tortured during the operation.

Last week, police, at a press conference, confirmed that they had received tip-offs from over 124 individuals, and based on that police conducted raids in at least 25 locations. 14 individuals, including 4 extremists, were arrested in the counter-terrorism operations launched after the bombing.


Islamist extremism is one of the top national security threats the archipelago has been facing. Solih, the country’s president, in a speech this year, had even acknowledged the challenge of containing the threat.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.