February 18, 2026 08:04 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Wikepedia

Man dies after confrontation with Toronto police

| | Nov 06, 2016, at 01:47 am
Toronto, Nov. 05 (IBNS): Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) had been examining the circumstances surrounding the death of a 31-year-old man during his confrontation with Toronto Police officers.

Toronto Police Const. Victor Kwong said several officers responded to a report of a man “screaming and waving” two knives on Sagres Crescent, in the St. Clair Avenue and Old Weston Road area shortly after 12 p.m. on Friday.

"He was flailing his arms with two very large knives," Jean Touchmore, who lives in the neighbourhood, told CP24. She said she witnessed one of her neighbours leave her home and run into the man.

"He threatened her, so she ran," Touchmore said.

According to SIU spokesperson Jason Gennaro, officers confronted the man near Sagres Crescent. The SIU said a stun gun was used by one of the officers and the man went into medical distress.

Toronto Paramedic Services spokeswoman Kim McKinnon said the man with life-threatening injuries was then transported to hospital.

The man was pronounced dead in the hospital, said Gennaro.
   
SIU had delegated six officers and two forensic investigators to examine the incident causing the death of the man.

The witnesses are requested to contact the SIU to bear testimony of the account.

The SIU is the agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault.

The case is still under investigation.

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.