February 18, 2026 06:22 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Mi'kmaq protesters block natural gas storage site in Nova Scotia

| | Sep 27, 2016, at 03:10 am
Fort Ellis, Sept 26 (IBNS): Mi'kmaq protesters recently blocked the entrance of a construction site near the upcoming underground natural gas storage caverns in Nova Scotia.

Almost 20 people grouped together near the Alton project in Fort Ellis, close to a small island where the tidal Shubenacadie River meets a channel in which briny water is to be discharged.

The discharging of the water from the underground caverns as planned by AltaGas Ltd. (TSX:ALA) is a concern among the protesters as they say natives have a treaty right to be on a small island in the area for fishing purposes.

The latest protest follows after opponents headed to the island earlier this month over concerns about increased salinity in the river that could pose a risk to some fish species.

Cheryl Maloney, president of the Nova Scotia Native Women's Association, says they will remain at the site indefinitely and want to discuss the project with the premier.

The company says the project has received all needed environmental and industrial approvals for the storage project, following over eight years of scientific monitoring of the tidal river

(Reporting by Canada desk)
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.