February 18, 2026 06:24 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Millions of dollars in ‘departure tax’ by Toronto Hydro’s sale

| | Sep 24, 2016, at 11:16 pm
Toronto, Sep. 24 (IBNS): Privatisation of Toronto Hydro could cost the city millions of dollars in 'departure tax', according to media reports.

According to sources, any municipality that wants to sell more than 10 per cent of a local distribution company would have to pay a 'departure tax' to the province. In the case of Toronto Hydro, the tax could be a huge amount, around $200-million, reports said.

Reports pointed out that Premier Kathleen Wynne’s government could be interested in a Toronto Hydro sell-off for their own privatisation of Hydro One.

Sources also said that Queen’s Park was interested in helping the city in privatising Toronto Hydro, to raise money for transit, housing and other relevant infrastructure but polls revealed this sell-off was not a popular move.

According to reports, Mayor John Tory had tried to convince both federal and provincial officials that helping Toronto with its Hydro move could help the Wynne government improve its political performance. Tory had also hoped that the Hydro sale would be exempted from tax.

“It’s a wait-and-see approach for me. The decision on what Toronto Hydro will do is based on what Toronto council will do," commented Energy Minister Glenn Thibeault.

Selling 50 per cent of Hydro would give the city a large upfront payment of more than $1-billion, which could be spent on infrastructure to help upgrade and repair the electricity grid, but according to reports, the main drawback was that the city’s loss of a portion of the company’s $60-million annual dividend.

The province had also shown willingness to give the electricity sector tax breaks to encourage share sales.

Last year, the province cut a different tax on electricity company privatisations, called the 'transfer tax' from 33 per cent to 33 per cent and small utilities with fewer than thirty thousand customers were exempted from it. Reports confirmed that this policy would be in effect until the end of 2018.

According to sources, Tory would not be comfortable selling more than 50 per cent of Hydro and losing effective control.

The departure tax would be Toronto’s main concern due to lack of credits against it for previous tax payments.

The tax would be calculated based on the total market value of the company, and will be the same irrespective of how much of Toronto Hydro is sold, said the reports.

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.