February 18, 2026 04:37 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Negotiation between General Motors Canada and labour union averts strike

| | Sep 21, 2016, at 05:19 pm
Toronto, Sep 21 (IBNS): A likely strike at General Motors' (GM's) Canada units were averted after the company negotiated a deal with the Canadian labour union, Unifor, according to media sources.

There had been fears that the Oshawa facility might shut down in 2019 but  Unifor National President Jerry Dias, who led the negotiations, said the tentative contract ensured GM’s commitment to investment worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

According to media reports, Dias stated that the GM facility in Oshawa will stay open and will the first and only plant in North America that would build both cars and trucks.

However, Dias did not say anything about production in the Oshawa unit beyond 2019  but  was also hopeful of new employment opportunities in both the short and long-term, reports said.

According to media reports, the four-year pact covering about four thousand autoworkers in Ontario, included increase in wages, signing bonuses and lump-sum payments.

The future of all the facilities in Ontario will be bright as this tentative deal, added Dias, would also secure investment for the GM parts distribution centre in Woodstock, Ontario, media reported.

After the agreement with GM, Dias believes there will be a decline in migration of auto jobs from Canada to Mexico.

Rather, he was optimistic of some production coming from Mexico to the St. Catharines plant.

The only negative change in the tentative agreement, said Dias, was that the company will have to pay a defined contribution pension plan to the new employees, quoted media reports.

According to reports, GM Canada would work with the government on potential support and added that all the three sites in Ontario would be covered.

Dias said that all further details would be provided after a ratification vote.

Unifor had selected GM as a target company in the opening round of contract talks with the Detroit Three automakers, according to media reports.

Dias further clarified that any deal reached with GM would serve as a template for negotiations with Ford and Fiat Chrysler but there was no specific mention with which automaker the union would negotiate next, media reported.

Reporting by Asha Bajaj

Image: GM Canada Twitter


 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.