February 16, 2026 09:30 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Nepal Everest
Image: Pixabay

Nepal extends Everest climbing season till 3 June

| @indiablooms | May 31, 2021, at 02:48 am

Nepal’s Everest mountaineering season usually ends in May end but this year, in a rare move, authorities have extended the season till 3 June as many climbers are still waiting for their turn.

The extension came in the backdrop of bad weather due to back-to-back cyclones in the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea which disrupted climbing activities in the last few weeks.

Meera Acharya, the director of Nepal’s Department of Tourism, said “As there are many climbers who have completed their acclimatization and are waiting for good weather at Everest base camp [5,300 meters] and Camp 2 [6,400 meters], we have decided to give them a chance to make their summit bids after reassessing the weather forecast which had been expected to be favorable at the end of May.”

Amid the pandemic, the country had issued record climbing permits, 408, this year. And, so far, only 350 made it to the top peak.

The climbing this year has been the riskiest. Despite strict health measures, many climbers and sherpas tested positive for the Covid-19 at base camps. Reports suggested that many climbers also aborted their climbing citing the risk of the Covid-19.

There is also the risk of melting ice, making climbing more dangerous. Officials, however, claimed that melting hasn’t started yet so there is no risk.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.