February 18, 2026 03:24 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
North Korea
Photo Courtesy: Pixabay

North Korea fires multiple short-range ballistic missiles as US prepares for presidential polls

| @indiablooms | Nov 05, 2024, at 02:54 pm

North Korea shot multiple short-range ballistic missiles toward the East Sea on Tuesday, South Korea claimed on Tuesday.

The latest round of missiles was shot at a time when the US is gearing up for Presidential polls.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) told Yonhap news agency that it detected the launches at about 7:30 a.m. from the Sariwon area in the western province of North Hwanghae.

However, it is still not clear how many missiles have been fired so far.

"While strengthening our military's monitoring and vigilance in preparation for additional launches, we are maintaining full readiness while closely sharing North Korean ballistic missile data with U.S. and Japanese authorities," the JCS said in a text message.

The latest launch occurred just days after North Korea fired the new Hwasong-19 intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).

The missile has reportedly the capability of reaching the US mainland.

UN discusses Hwasong-19 intercontinental ballistic missile launch

The launch of “yet another” intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) poses a “grave threat” to regional stability, a senior UN political affairs official warned on Monday, as the Security Council discussed the rising tensions in the region and beyond.

The missile, launched on 31 October at approximately 7:11am local time, reportedly flew for 1 hour and 26 minutes, covered approximately 1,000 kilometres, reaching an altitude of over 7,000 kilometres before landing in the sea.

“The DPRK described this latest launch as a ‘very crucial test’ that ‘updated the recent records of the strategic missile capability of the DPRK’,” Khaled Khiari, Assistant Secretary-General for Asia at the UN Department of Political Affairs, told ambassadors.

“The Hwasong-19 sets new records in terms of flight duration and altitude and is the second solid-fuel ICBM developed by the DPRK which does not need to undergo fuelling prior to launch. It is reported to be larger than its predecessor, the Hwasong-18, and may be capable of carrying larger warheads or even multiple warheads.”

This latest test marks the 11th intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) launch by DPRK – more commonly known as North Korea – since announcing a new five-year military expansion plan in 2021.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.