February 18, 2026 09:08 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Ontario bans Big Pharma marketing scheme over allegation of manipulation

| @indiablooms | Sep 16, 2017, at 05:07 am
Toronto, Sep 15 (IBNS): Ontario has decided to ban Big Pharma marketing scheme, a process of selling drugs by using electronic medical records, over an allegation of favouring certain drug selling brands, media reports said.

The decision to ban the scheme has been taken after a Star investigation, which found out that Telus Health had been inserting vouchers with brand name drugs into the medical record software which are used by the doctor.

The medical record software is owned by Telus Health and some other companies.

Health Minister Dr. Eric Hoskins was quoted by the Star: "Ontario patients must have confidence that (prescribing) decisions are not influenced by marketing programs or electronic vouchers.”

"This practice is particularly concerning given its powerful influence on the brands of drugs that Ontarians receive, often without patients even being aware that this practice is happening,” Hoskins added.

It is because of this practice, the patients are unnecessarily forced to buy medicines of particular brand names instead of lower priced ones.

Hoskins said the voucher system will no longer be available in the medical record software from the coming week.

The minister said that he is working on the prohibition along with OntarioMD, who is in duty to look after and give certification to the electronic medical software.

With an attempt to defend the company, a Telus Health spokesperson told the Star that the company " has always been careful to ensure that our EMRs comply with provincial policy as it evolves over time".

“The minister’s directive to the industry is clear, and we are taking the necessary steps to implement the required changes,” he added.

The Star, in the investigation which they carried out, found Telus Health was paid by certain brand name drug companies so that the prescription of the doctors consists of all their drugs over several lower priced generic equivalents.

The investigation also deciphered that the patients' health records are also accessed to sell higher priced drugs.

However, Telus Health rejected such an allegation.

Paul Lepage, President of Telus Health, has earlier said: "Protecting our customers’ privacy and safeguarding data is, and will always be, a cornerstone of our business."


(Reporting by Suman Das)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.