February 19, 2026 08:12 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Parents of Canadian man accused in plotting terror attack in NYC plead for mercy

| @indiablooms | Mar 22, 2018, at 06:06 pm

Ottawa, Mar 22 (IBNS): Parents of a 20-year-old Canadian man, who is accused of plotting a terror attack in the New York City in 2016, are pleading for mercy of their son, media reports said.

The parents of  Abdulrahman El Bahnasawy are waiting for the verdict to be pronounced by the federal court on Apr 9.

Interacting with CBC News, Bahnasawy's parents Khdiga Metwally and Osama El Bahnasawy said they understand the gravity of their son's crime.

The parents have also said their son was mentally ill during his teenage so Bahnasawy doesn't deserve to spend the rest of his life in prison.

"We were struggling for this sick boy, and he [was] struggling for himself," says Metwally, her voice shaking. "Other people try to manipulate him when he was so isolated on the internet, to do violence" parents told CBC News.

Abdulrahman El Bahnasawy was charged after he pleaded for being involved in plotting of a 2016 terror attack, targeting New York.

Last year, the U.S. Attorney's Office had revealed the entire details of the terror attack plan that had an alleged effort to detonate bombs in Times Square and the New York subway system.

Plans were also made to attack some concert venues, reports said.

The sealed information also stated that the accused had bought the bomb-making materials and manged to get a room closer to the city to build explosives.

Apart from Bahnasawy, Talha Haroon and Russell Salic, were also charged over the same allegations.

While Haroon is a 19-year old US citizen living in Pakistan, Salic (37) is from Phillippine.

Both were arrested outside the US. They are likely to be extradited to the US for prosecution.


 

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.