February 20, 2026 07:04 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Wikimedia Commons

Pompeo says US-Taliban deal to include timeline for troops withdrawal, intra-Afghan negotiations

| @indiablooms | Feb 26, 2020, at 10:27 am

Washington/Xinhua/UNI: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday that a possible US-Taliban peace deal will include a timetable for conditions-based US troop withdrawals and the start of the intra-Afghan negotiations.

Washington will sign a deal with Afghan Taliban "on or about February 29th" only after a successful implementation of a week-long violence reduction beginning Saturday in Afghanistan, Pompeo told reporters at a State Department press conference.

The agreement "includes a timeline for both a conditions-based and phased troop withdrawal, and for the commencement of intra-Afghan negotiations," the top US diplomat noted.

These negotiations, if taking place, will be "the first time that Afghans representing all sides of the conflict will sit down together and begin the hard work of reconciliation," Pompeo added.

Under the plan, US military presence in Afghanistan, which began in 2001 and has been called "ridiculous " by President Donald Trump, will be reduced to 8,600 troops from the current 12,000 to 13,000 over the course of 135 days, reported the CNN news channel citing two sources familiar with the deal.

Washington announced last week that a deal with Taliban is expected to be signed on Feb. 29 without disclosing the location of the signing.

Peace talks between the two sides began in 2018 but were interrupted at least twice due to Taliban attacks on US military personnel in September and December last year.

Zabiullah Mujahid, a purported Taliban spokesman, tweeted Friday that the finalized accord is expected to be signed in the presence of "senior representatives of numerous countries and organizations."  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.