February 18, 2026 08:04 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Toronto city progress on road safety plan

| | Nov 01, 2016, at 03:03 am
Toronto, Oct 31 (IBNS): The period between mid-November and mid-December, with days becoming shorter, is considered a dangerous season for traffic collision, said media reports.

In at a recent news conference held at Dundas St. E. and River St., Public works chair Councillor Jaye Robinson (Ward 25, Don Valley West) discussed ongoing changes at the intersection to protect pedestrians.

The highlights of the discussion were eliminating northbound right-turn channel at the intersections, improving pedestrian crossing markings, installing a red light camera, lowering the speed limits from 50 km/h to 40 km/h and retiming traffic signals.

In July 2016 the council had sanctioned $80.3-million for road safety.

So far this year, 65 traffic fatalities had been reported last year which was an 11-year high.

But more pedestrian crashes during approaching shorter days of the autumn are apprehended.

“I can’t stress enough that making our roads safer is one of the most important priorities in this city,” Robinson said.

The initiatives planned for 2016 included reducing speed limits at 14 high-risk corridors, making physical changes to 14 intersections and adding clear pedestrian signals at dozens of locations.

Other initiatives included were purchasing additional “watch your speed” radar signs and setting these up at five school zones, launching a motorcycle safety campaign, and installing red light cameras at 79 sites.

Along with the road safety initiative, an anti-congestion campaign was launched by the city, motivating the motorists to move faster through intersections.

Robinson saw no conflict between the two plans.

“No, I don’t think congestion and safety are at odds with each other,” she said. “It’s better to keep things moving smoothly, slowly, and keep pedestrians safe.”

But Maureen Coyle, a member of the steering committee for pedestrian-advocacy group Walk Toronto stated that there was bound to be conflict between keeping traffic flowing and pedestrian safety.

Coyle suggested that the city should consider an “immediate, across the board reduction” in speed limits.

Robinson was open to the idea. She said that the road safety plan would consider reducing speeds only on streets with incidence of a high number of collisions.

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj, Image, Don Valley Parkway: Wikipedia)

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.