February 18, 2026 07:26 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Toronto opens injection centres to combat drug overdosed deaths

| | Aug 23, 2017, at 06:53 am
Toronto, Aug 22 (IBNS): In order to combat the drug overdosed deaths in Toronto, specific injection centres have been opened in the city on Tuesday, media reports said.

Since last week of July, several deaths had occurred in the city due to drug overdose.

However, the temporary safe-injection sites which have been set up will be replaced by the permanent ones this fall.

The temporary injection centres will be open between 4 p.m. and 10 p.m. from Monday to Saturday.

At a time three people can take the drug in the centres which have been set up near Victoria and Dundas Sts..

In the permanent centres, however, five people at a time can take the injection and also between 10 a.m. to 10 p.m..

Nine people are expected to use the injections per hour and will be under observation for fifteen minutes to detect any overdoses, report said.

The other centres will be built up at Queen West Central Toronto Community Health Centre on Bathurst St. and South Riverdale Community Health Centre near Carlaw Ave.

Toronto’s chief public health official, Dr. Eileen de Villa, was quoted by the Star as saying: "It provides a safe environment for people who are going to use drugs."

"We know both through research and lived experience it’s highest risk for overdose and deaths when people... use alone. We provide a safe environment, a supervised environment for people to use their drugs safely, so they minimize harm to themselves," she added.

Several drug overdosed deaths had occurred in recent times which prompted Toronto to take the decision of setting up three safe injectioncentres with an aim to curb the loss of lives.

In the last week of July, twenty people were reportedly overdosed with the drug intake while four others died in downtown Toronto.

Three more people lost their lives in the Durham region on August 12.


(Reporting by Suman Das)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.