February 17, 2026 08:36 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Image Credit : White House X handle/ wikipedia.org

Trump downplays security breach after Atlantic editor mistakenly added to classified Signal chat

| @indiablooms | Mar 27, 2025, at 02:22 pm

In an unusual security lapse, veteran US journalist Jeffrey Goldberg revealed that he was inadvertently added to a private group chat with senior Trump administration officials as they discussed plans to attack Yemen’s Houthis earlier this month, media reports said.

Goldberg, editor-in-chief of The Atlantic, recounted the incident in an article titled "The Trump Administration Accidentally Texted Me Its War Plans".

The encrypted Signal chat included key officials such as Vice President JD Vance, Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, National Security Adviser Michael Waltz, and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

How did the journalist end up in the chat?

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump addressed the apparent security breach, confirming that Goldberg had been mistakenly included in a classified Signal chat discussing military operations against the Iran-backed Houthis.

Trump attributed the incident to an error by a junior staff member working under National Security Adviser Mike Waltz. “And what it was, we believe, is somebody that was on the line with permission; somebody that was with Mike Waltz — worked for Mike Waltz at a lower level — had, I guess, Goldberg's number or called through the app, and somehow this guy ended up on the call,” Trump said in an interview with Newsmax.

The chat, named "Houthi PC small group," reportedly included 18 senior officials coordinating the US military response to Houthi aggression, according to TOI.

Trump insisted that the discussion did not contain classified details, adding, “There was no problem, and the attack was a tremendous success.”

Administration response and fallout

National Security Adviser Mike Waltz later acknowledged the mistake, stating he was unsure how Goldberg was added to the chat.

“I’ve never met him, don’t know him, and have never communicated with him,” Waltz said.

Appearing on Fox News Channel’s The Ingraham Angle, he admitted to creating the chat and confirmed that White House technical experts were investigating how Goldberg’s number had been included.

“We made a mistake. We’re moving forward,” Waltz said, taking “full responsibility” for the mishap.

Trump dismisses concerns

Trump downplayed the incident, calling it “the only glitch in two months” and reiterating that no classified intelligence was exposed. He also criticised The Atlantic and Goldberg, announcing that the administration would limit its use of Signal for sensitive discussions.

“We won’t be using it very much,” Trump remarked, adding that he preferred in-person meetings under strict security. “If it were up to me, everyone would be in a room together—with solid lead walls, a lead ceiling, and a lead floor.”

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.