August 24, 2026 04:30 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
‘Reservation for poor, not caste’: Stir at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar | Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well | India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark | Centre denies US visit clearance to Telangana CM Revanth Reddy, says programmes 'not appropriate' | Delhi Police register FIR in pellet gun case after Rahul Gandhi's sit-in | Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence
Trump has claimed that the US has total control of the Strait of Hormuz. Photo: ChatGPT

Trump claims US has ‘total control’ of Strait of Hormuz, vows to keep it

| @indiablooms | Aug 12, 2026, at 10:26 pm

US President Donald Trump has claimed that America has “total control” over the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz, as tensions with Iran remain high over the waterway’s closure and a US naval blockade.

Trump hails ‘Wall of Steel’ naval blockade

In a post on Truth Social on Wednesday, Trump said the US would retain control of the Strait of Hormuz and praised the effectiveness of the American naval blockade.

“The U.S.A. has total control over the Strait of Hormuz. I think we will keep it!” Trump wrote.

He claimed the US blockade was being described as a “wall of steel” and asserted that Iran was powerless to challenge it.

Trump also said Iran no longer had the military strength it once possessed, claiming that the country had no functioning Navy or Air Force and that its soldiers were going unpaid.

He further claimed that Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps had been “decimated and fleeing”.

Trump ended his post by declaring that Iran was no longer the “bully” of the Middle East and added, “Praise be to Allah!”

Iran rejects US control claim

Iran has strongly rejected Trump's repeated assertion that Washington controls the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most important maritime chokepoints for the transportation of oil and other commodities.

Tehran has instead threatened to impose a toll system on vessels using the waterway and has targeted ships it accuses of attempting to bypass its preferred route.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards said Sunday that the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US meets Tehran's demands.

According to Iranian officials, those conditions include lifting the US naval blockade, unfreezing Iranian assets, removing sanctions and providing compensation for damage caused during the war.

“The strait is now actually a theatre of war for us and not just a waterway,” the Revolutionary Guards said, warning that the blockade would continue until the US accepts Iran's conditions.

Hormuz closure raises pressure on Trump

The prolonged disruption in the Strait of Hormuz has pushed up prices for American consumers, adding to the political pressure on Trump ahead of the November midterm elections.

Despite the economic impact, Trump has indicated that Washington remains open to negotiations with Tehran.

In an interview with Axios on Sunday, Trump described the US approach as “low-key”, saying Washington was only “semi-negotiating” while monitoring Iran's worsening economic situation.

“It will work out,” Trump said, comparing the confrontation to a game of chess.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has maintained that Tehran is not engaged in direct negotiations with Washington, saying Iran is only exchanging messages with the US through intermediaries.

Strait remains key flashpoint

The standoff over Hormuz has emerged as a major flashpoint in the wider US-Iran confrontation, with both sides refusing to back down.

While Trump insists that the US has established control over the waterway, Iran says reopening the strategic passage will depend on Washington meeting its demands.

The competing claims have added uncertainty around one of the world's most critical routes for global energy supplies.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.