February 18, 2026 01:52 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
UK data breach
Representative image of data breach/ credit: Pixabay

UK data breach 'puts lives at risk' for 250 Afghan interpreters

| @indiablooms | Sep 22, 2021, at 12:17 am

London/UNI/Xinhua: The British Ministry of Defence has apologised and launched an investigation into a data breach that has "needlessly put lives at risk" by revealing the email addresses of more than 250 Afghan interpreters who worked for British forces, local media reported Tuesday.

Detailed information of more than 250 former workers seeking evacuation to Britain were mistakenly copied into an email from the Ministry of Defence, asking for an update on their situation, the BBC reported.

One interpreter who received the email realised that more than 250 Afghans who worked with British forces had been copied into the email with their profile pictures and contact details.

"This mistake could cost the life of interpreters, especially for those who are still in Afghanistan," the interpreter told the BBC.

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Defence said an investigation has been launched into the data breach and they "apologise to everyone impacted by this breach and are working hard to ensure it does not happen again".

This is the second major data breach from the ministry this year, after sensitive documents were discovered at a bus stop in England's southeastern area of Kent in June.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.