February 21, 2026 03:15 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
China | UK
Images: Twitter/TheRoyalFamily

UK Parliament bans Chinese delegation from viewing Queen Elizabeth's Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall

| @indiablooms | Sep 17, 2022, at 06:13 am

The UK Parliament has banned a high-level Chinese delegation from attending Queen Elizabeth's Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall within the Parliament complex before the funeral at Westminster Abbey here on September 19, British media reported.

The request for access to Westminster Hall is said to have been refused by House of Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle owing to Chinese sanctions against five British members of Parliament and two peers for accusing Beijing of mistreating its Uighur Muslim minority in Xinjiang, ‘Politico’ and the BBC have reported.

China would have a presence at the funeral but not be allowed into the Parliament building, media reports said.

The Westminster Hall forms part of the parliamentary estate, which is under the control of the Commons and the Lords Speakers.

Sir Iain Duncan Smith, the former leader of the Conservative Party, as well as Tory MPs Tom Tugendhat, Neil O’Brien, Tim Loughton and Nusrat Ghani are among those sanctioned and they as well as their families are banned from entering Chinese territory.

In March last year, China sanctioned nine individuals and four organisations in the UK in retaliation after Britain sanctioned Chinese officials for alleged human rights violations in  Xinjiang province.

The sanctioned British MPs had written to the Parliament Speakers earlier this week, seeking assurances that representatives from Beijing would be banned from the parliamentary estate. They had also voiced their objections in a letter to the Foreign Secretary, James Cleverly.

The sanctioned MPs had raised objections about the Chinese President being invited to the funeral at all.

Downing Street has responded that it is a convention that countries having diplomatic relations with the UK should be invited to state funerals.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.