February 21, 2026 01:37 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
North Korea
Image: OCHA/David Ohana

UN chief condemns DPR Korea missile launch over Japan as ‘reckless act’

| @indiablooms | Oct 05, 2022, at 11:02 pm

New York: The UN Secretary-General on Tuesday strongly condemned the launch of a ballistic missile by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), more commonly known as North Korea, which reportedly travelled over Japan.

The missile launch was the first to violate Japan’s air space since 2017, and the intermediate-range ballistic missile fell into the Pacific Ocean well away from the mainland.

Sirens in Japan

Residents in parts of northern Japan were reportedly woken by sirens and text alerts, and warned to watch out for possible falling debris.

News reports said the missile travelled some 4,500 kilometres (2,800 miles) – the longest distance ever travelled by a North Korean weapon - reaching a height of 1,000km.

Last week, Japan, the United States and South Korea, held joint naval exercises for the first time since 2017, according to news reports, and following Tuesday’s launch, the three countries said they would be working closely together in conjunction with the wider international community, to coordinate an immediate and longer-term response to North Korea’s move – the fifth missile launch in just a week.

Two rockets were launched by DPRK on Saturday, outside the boundary of Japan’s exclusive economic zone.

Violations

UN Security Council resolutions forbid North Korea from conducting ballistic or nuclear weapons tests.

“This was a reckless act and a violation of Security Council resolutions”, said UN chief António Guterres, in a statement issued by his Spokesperson.

“It is also of serious concern that the DPRK has again disregarded any consideration for international flight or maritime safety.”

Return to talks

Mr. Guterres urged North Korea to “resume dialogue with the key parties concerned with a view to achieving sustainable peace and the complete and verifiable denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.”

In March, Mr. Guterres condemned the launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile, which was DPRK’s first long-range test since 2017. Just a month earlier, DPRK also flouted its own 2018 moratorium with an intermediate-range ballistic launch.

North Korea has carried out 23 different weapons tests so far this year.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.