February 20, 2026 07:01 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons

US accuses Iran of importing coronavirus to ‘at least 5 countries’

| @indiablooms | Mar 23, 2020, at 08:01 pm

Washington/Sputnik: The government of Iran has transmitted the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) to at least five countries, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement on Monday.

“Fact: In February, Iran’s chief terror airline, Mahan Air, ran at least 55 flights between Tehran and China, further infecting the Iranian people. At least five foreign countries’ first cases of coronavirus were directly imported from Iran, putting millions more lives at risk,” the statement said.

Pompeo also accused the Iranian government of lying about the real number of cases of COVID-19 infection and deaths in the country as well as of using scarce resources to finance terrorism.

“As Iranian regime officials ask for more funds, it is important to note that since 2012, Iran has spent over $16 billion on terror abroad, and used sanctions relief from the JCPOA to fill up its proxies' coffers,” Pompeo said.

“Regime officials stole over a billion Euros intended for medical supplies, and continue to hoard desperately needed masks, gloves, and other medical equipment for sale on the black market," he added.

Pompeo pointed out in the statement that US sanctions against Iran do not apply to imports of humanitarian goods.

“Iranian documents show their health companies have been able to import testing kits without obstacle from US sanctions since January,” Pompeo said.

”The United States has offered over $100 million in medical assistance to foreign countries, including to the Iranian people, and our scientists are working tirelessly to develop a vaccine. Khamenei rejected this offer because he works tirelessly to concoct conspiracy theories and prioritizes ideology over the Iranian people.”

In statements published last Monday, both Russia and China urged the United States to ease sanctions on Iran in order to help curb the spread of COVID-19.

Earlier in March, Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said US sanctions against Iran have cost the Islamic Republic $200 billion over the last two years and are also hindering efforts to prevent deaths caused by COVID-19.

On Tuesday, Pompeo announced new sanctions against three Iranian individuals connected with the country’s petrochemical industry. Pompeo reiterated that the United States will continue to fully enforce all its sanctions placed on the Iran.

(Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons)


 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.