February 19, 2026 01:38 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

US border police temporarily halt criminal prosecution of migrants

| @indiablooms | Jun 26, 2018, at 12:51 pm

Washington, Jun 26 (IBNS): US border police have suspended criminal prosecution of illegal migrants who enter the country with their children, reports said on Tuesday.

The development was confirmed by US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Commissioner Kevin McAleenan, who informed the same to reporters in Texas. He added that it the prosecutions were halted last week.

The action followed order from US President Donald Trump, who, after enduring massive criticism from all corners, finally bowed down to the public demand of keeping the families together.

However, McAleenan said that Trump's 'zero tolerance' order was still active.

The Associated Press quoted the CBP Comissioner as saying that his department and the Department of Justice must work out a way to prosecute the parents without separating the former from their offspring.

The criminal prosecutions started in April, earlier this year, after months of Trump crying foul against the nab and release policy of illegal migrants.

Meanwhile, The Pentagon, headquarters of the US Department of Defence, confirmed on Monday that it will be using two military bases in Texas as lodging for the migrants.

According to earlier US media reports, one of the bases will house the families and the other will be used to lodge undocumented children who crossed the border without an adult.

Speaking about the issue at a school police officers' conference in Reno, Nevada, on Monday, US Attorney General Jeff Sessions batted for prosecutions, stating that relaxation in rules will encourage more migrants to cross-over, according to reports by the New York Times.

The government presently has to reunite families with more than 2000 children, who have been taken away and sent to different parts in the US.


Image:  UNHCR/Markel Redondo

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.