February 19, 2026 03:21 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
Image: Wikimedia commons

US catholic Cardinal McCarrick resigns over accusation of sexual abuse

| @indiablooms | Jul 28, 2018, at 11:13 pm

New York, July 28 (IBNS): Prominent US catholic, Cardinal Theordore McCarrick has resigned over the accusation of sexually assaulting a teenager five decades ago, media reports said.

Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of Cardinal McCarrick.

McCarrick (88), a former Archbishop of Washington, must also carry out "penance and prayer", pending a canonical trial, BBC reported.

Last month, US church officials had termed the allegations as "credible".

What are the allegations?

McCarrick has allegedly assaulted the teenager while working as a priest in New York in 1970s.

Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the present Archbishop of New York, made the claims public in June.

An independent forensic agency was set up to probe into the incident.

A review board consisting of legal experts, psychologists, parents and a priest, found the allegations to be "credible and substantiated".

Since then, several more men came out in public alleging that McCarrick had forced them to sleep with him at a beach house in New Jersey. The accused men said the incident occurred when they were studying for the priesthood as adult seminarians.

Cardinal McCarrick's reactions:

In a statement, McCarrick said he cannot recollect the 50-year old reported abuse of the teenager.

He preferred to remain mum on the accusations of sexually abusing men in New Jersey.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.